BALTIMORE, MD – The American Marketing Association Baltimore Chapter (AMA Baltimore) announced the winners of its annual MX Awards on Thursday, June 25 at a virtual event attended by over 130 people. For 35 years, the MX Awards have celebrated local organizations that demonstrate outstanding creativity, implementation, and results in their marketing campaigns. Awards are presented for outstanding overall campaigns as well as the best campaigns in specific channels or elements.
The Grand MX Campaign of the Year, DuClaw Brewing Company, created a new campaign to promote its Sour Me Unicorn Farts beer, inspired by Diablo Doughnuts’ vanilla-frosted doughnut dipped in Fruity Pebbles cereal. Among the visuals produced for the campaign was a photograph of Michael Roslan, owner of Diablo Doughnuts, lying in a bathtub of Fruity Pebbles, with doughnuts and beer cans perched on the tub rim, a recreation of the famous photo of pop music star Lizzo in a bathtub filled with Skittles. Runner-Up Campaign of the Year went to Howard Bank, in conjunction with Gigawatt Group, who created a new brand architecture following its merger with First Mariner Bank, positioning the bank as the go-to banking partner within the Baltimore business community. 2nd Runner-Up Campaign of the Year was a tie between The Smithsonian, which developed a revamped brand identity, logo, and promotional materials for its Arts + Industries Building in conjunction with Beyond Definition, and technology advisory firm Hartman Executive Advisors, which created a new one-page promotional handout.
“The MX Awards event is the highlight of our year,” said Brynn Devereaux, president of AMA Baltimore. “While the COVID-19 pandemic necessitated a switch to a virtual format this year, we still enjoyed coming together as a marketing community to honor the creativity and ingenuity that the winning companies brought to their marketing campaigns.”
The categories and winners of the 2020 MX Awards:
- Grand MX Campaign of the Year: DuClaw Brewing Company
- Runner-Up Campaign of the Year: Howard Bank (Agency: Gigawatt Group)
- 2nd Runner-Up Campaign of the Year (Tie): Smithsonian (Agency: Beyond Definition) | Hartman Executive Advisors
Integrated Marketing Campaigns
- Best B2B Campaign of the Year: BGE (Agency: ICF)
- Best B2C Campaign of the Year (Tie): Baltimore Police Department (Agency: idfive) | Sheppard Pratt (Agency: Weber Shandwick)
- Best Event Marketing Campaign of the Year: Kiddie Academy (Agency: Havas Formula)
- Best Nonprofit Campaign of the Year: Goodwill Industries of the Chesapeake, Inc.
- Best Email Marketing Campaign of the Year: Outback Steakhouse (Agency: Response Labs)
- Best Social Media Campaign of the Year: BGE
- Best Video Marketing Campaign of the Year: Transurban (Agency: Beyond Definition)
- Best Single Unit Digital Advertisement Campaign of the Year: BGE (Agency: ICF)
- Best Digital Marketing Campaign of the Year: Maryland Auto Insurance/FineFix
- Best Single Unit Print Advertisement Campaign of the Year: Tiny Jewel Box (Agency: KLUTCH)
- Best Print Advertisement Campaign of the Year: Maryland Auto Insurance/FineFix
- Best Direct Mail Campaign of the Year: Towson University
Elements of Marketing
- Best New Brand Identity Campaign of the Year: Howard Bank (Agency: Gigawatt Group)
- Best Rebrand Campaign of the Year: MK Consulting Engineers (Agency: Duckpin)
- Best Marketing Collateral Campaign of the Year: Zahlco Development (Agency: AMF Creative)
- Best Market Research Campaign of the Year: Maryland Auto Insurance/FineFix
- Best Marketing Technology Campaign of the Year: Constellation (Agency: Weber Shandwick)
For more information about the 35th Annual MX Awards winners, visit AMA Baltimore’s website.
AMA Baltimore gratefully acknowledges the support of its sponsors, who make this event and all other chapter programming possible: platinum sponsor HBP; gold sponsor Loyola University Sellinger School of Business; silver sponsors R2i and Response Labs; bronze sponsors Mindgrub, Neenah and Sappi; in-kind sponsors Adam Yosim Voiceovers, Beyond Definition, Coyle Studios, Crown Trophy, Fifteen4, SR&B and Storyfarm; and media partner, Capital Communicator.
ABOUT AMA BALTIMORE
The American Marketing Association Baltimore Chapter is Maryland’s leading provider of networking, educational programming, and resources for marketing professionals. AMA Baltimore provides extensive opportunities for marketers to expand their networks, grow professionally, and learn about current industry trends.